Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the man behind gaga




Creative director of Dazed & Confused, and the man responsible for Lady Gaga's extravagant fashion. Meet Nicola Formichetti (pictured above in first photo). Born in Japan to an Italian father and a Japanese mother in 1977, his unique style is a result of his upbringing: internationally eclectic; modern and traditional; Eastern and European. Below is an excerpt of his interview with Alex Kazemi of Pop Addict:

Alex Kazemi: When and why did you decide you were going to be a stylist working in the fashion industry?

Nicola Formichetti: It was almost ten years ago, maybe. When I was 22. I sort of fell into it really. I was working in a shop called the Pineal eye, selling young designers. I was the shop assistant/buyer. I met Katy England and Alister Mackie who were the fashion directors of Dazed and Confused then, they asked me to work on small projects for the magazine. What began as a small monthly column grew into monthly projects. A few years later Jefferson Hack asked me to be the creative director of the magazine. Through the whole experience I started working for other magazines an pursuing other projects in fashion, creative consulting, opening a shop in Japan, etc.

Alex Kazemi: You work with Lady Gaga an awful lot. Tell us about your experience with her.

Nicola Formichetti: Well, its so much fun, working for her, for me, it's an extension of what I have been doing. Our work together is a pure collaboration between artists. The great thing about her is, she is able to bring one dimensional editorials in to reality. She gives purpose to fashion, she wears fashion, she lives fashion.

Definitely one of the most original, innovative and visionary stylists of all time. Read the entire interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

show me some love x